San Bernardino Catastrophic Injury Lawyer | Crockett Law Group | California
According to state-wide data from NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), the leading cause of life-changing injuries is automotive-related accidents. A majority of life-changing injuries are categorized as catastrophic injuries. For this reason, when seeking compensation, one has to develop a well-informed and comprehensive claim. This is where our San Bernardino Catastrophic injury lawyers come into the picture.
We offer our legal service in California and only work on personal injury cases. In a nutshell, we are a full-service personal injury law firm. For this reason, if you have suffered any form of catastrophic injury in San Bernardino, Ca, we are ready to fight for you. We know how challenging it can be to find the right catastrophic injury lawyer.
To help you eliminate the challenges that come with finding the right lawyer for you, we offer free case evaluation and consultation. Do not hesitate to take advantage of our free consultation services. During the consultation, you have the right to any question you may have, what we can do for you, and even the best action to take. All you have to do is call us today at [Phone].
What Is A Catastrophic Injury?
The general definition of catastrophic injury is any form of injury, damage, or harm that comes with immediate consequences, which prevents a person from engaging in meaningful work or living a normal life.
The million-dollar question is; what makes an injury catastrophic? It all depends on the severity of the damage caused. In other words, catastrophic injuries cause permanent impairments. This means that if you have suffered a catastrophic injury, then you have lost an important part of your persona. It can be your ability to work, walk, function, or form thoughts. It is important to note that catastrophic injuries come with many negative life changes.
Few injury examples include: –
• All Severe Burn injuries (caused by fire, chemicals, etc.)
• Head and brain injuries
• Back and spinal cord injuries
• Wrongful death
Catastrophic Injury Statistics
Back in 2019, there were over 173,000 preventable injury-related deaths. In 2018, the number stood at 167,126, which means the number of deaths increased by 3.5%. This is according to a report by the NSC (National Safety Council).
According to a report by CDC, over 40 million people go to the ER each year. More than 68 million people in the U.S. seek injury-related treatment every year. Out of the 68 million people, 1.7 million seek medical attention for catastrophic injuries.
According to a report by the National Spinal Cord Injury, which was collected back in 2008 shows that, over 250,000 people in America were living with spinal cord injury; of which 78% of them were male. The average age of people with spinal cord injury is 39.5 years. The leading cause of spinal cord injuries is traffic or road-related accidents, followed by slip and fall, and violence.
What Are The Long-Term Effects Of Catastrophic Injuries?
A catastrophic injury is a type of injury that cuts across all aspects of life. What does this mean? It simply means that there is no one way a catastrophic injury will affect a person. Therefore, the long term effects include: –
• Financial Effect
One of the most common long-term effects of catastrophic injury is the financial impact. That is because all catastrophic injuries demand long-term medical care like advanced medical treatment, ongoing therapy, long-term care, and even extended stay in hospital. All these are things that demand financial aid or support. This will affect a person’s financial status. Do not forget the fact that one may not be able to work due to the injury.
• Lifestyle Changes
This is another long-term effect that comes with catastrophic injury. Some injuries impact a person’s ability to move. Some suffer constant chronic pain. It eliminates one’s ability to enjoy life or enjoy the activities that made them happy. This is something that may lead to depression.
• Health Or Bodily Related Impact
Different types of catastrophic injuries come with different long-term consequences. In fact, health or bodily injuries are the most common term consequences. Few examples of bodily or health-related impacts include: –
2. Memory loss
3. Increase risk of seizure and stroke
4. Cognitive function impairment
5. Head and brain injuries
• Career Changes
Many people suffering from catastrophic injury find it difficult to go back to their careers or the post they were previously before the injury. This is especially true for those whose careers require physical actions.
Can I Sue For A Catastrophic Injury?
The term ‘catastrophic injury’ is not a legal term. For this reason, there is no specific way a person is required to prove they have a catastrophic injury in a civil court. The only thing that makes an injury catastrophic is the severity of the injury, the time taken to recover, the medical care needed, incapacitating symptoms, and the rehabilitation needed.
It is important to note that California is a state that follows Pure Comparative Negligence. This means the victim can recover any portion of damage or compensation caused by the defendant. This means that; even if the victim is found to be 99% at fault for the accident that led to injury, they will still receive 1% of the total compensation.
Although California law is pure comparative negligence, for a plaintiff to receive compensation, they must obey or establish the following liability rules: –
• Duty Of Care – The plaintiff must show or prove the defendant owed legal obligation. In this first stage, the civil court must understand the relationship between the two parties.
• Breach Of Duty Of Care – The plaintiff must provide proof showing the defendant breached the duty of care. In this stage, the plaintiff must provide evidence to the civil court showing negligence and how the defendant failed to exercise reasonable care.
• Causation – The plaintiff must link the actions of the defendant to the damage. In other words, you must show how the defendant failed to exercise reasonable care, and that action lead to the accident.
• Damage – The plaintiff is required to show the damages or injuries caused by the accident. The damage must be legally recognized.
As you are filing for a compensation claim, it is important to take note of California’s Statute of limitation. In California, the personal injury statute of limitation ranges from 1 year to 10 years depending on the type of case. Contact our catastrophic injury lawyer today to learn more about this based on your case.
Why Do I Need A Lawyer For My Catastrophic Injury Claim?
It is wise to contact a lawyer for many reasons. Apart from getting legal support, the catastrophic injury attorney will handle all aspects of your litigation. They play an important role such as: –
• Collecting Evidence – Because you will be required by law to show proof of the defendant’s negligence, injuries, and the connection between the injury, negligence, and incident. The attorney knows the relevant evidence needed and where to get them.
• Negotiations – Not all civil cases find their way to court. A majority of them are solved out of court through negotiations. Therefore, to receive the highest possible amount, you need a lawyer by your side.
• Representation in Court – Sometimes negotiations fail. When this happens, the case is presented in court. It is wise to let a professional represent you in court.
What Types Of Damages I Can Recover?
There are three types of damages one can recover. These are: –
1. Economic Damages – These are all types of damages or losses that can be calculated. For this reason, it includes losses like lost income, medical expenses, future lost income, medical travel expenses, rehabilitation costs, and others.
2. Non-Economic Damages – These type of damages covers all forms of losses, injuries, or damages that cannot be quantified (calculated or seen). Examples include trauma, pain and suffering, anguish, sorrow, loss of companionship, and more.
3. Punitive Damages – This is a type of damage the civil court will decree the defendant to give the plaintiff in addition to both the economic and non-economic damages. The goal for this amount is to punish the offender.
For Legal Consultation, contact our Crockett Law Group catastrophic injury lawyer.
There are many benefits to seeking the services of a highly skilled and experienced catastrophic lawyer. That is because these cases are not always straightforward. The offender will also accuse you of being negligent as well. Even if you will get compensated even if you are found to be at fault (because California follows pure comparative negligence law), hiring a lawyer will ensure you get the highest total amount of compensation.
At Crockett Law Group, we offer personalized legal support because we understand that not all cases are the same. Remember, we only work on personal injury cases, which means that we are highly specialized and experienced in this legal field. We understand how difficult and intimidating it can be to find an experienced personal injury lawyer in San Bernardino, CA. for this reason, we offer free initial consultation service.
During the consultation, you have the right to ask all the questions you may have, inquire about how we will handle the case, the best action to take, and the legal advice you should apply. To speak to us, call us at [Phone] and speak to our catastrophic lawyers.