If you are a victim of a truck accident, then you may be liable to receive compensation. Contact our Palm Springs truck accident lawyer today and get the best legal action to take. At Crockett Law Group, we know the methods to use to help you get the maximum amount of monetary compensation for your damages.
There is no doubt the part the truck industry plays in an economy. Trucks help move products in and out of particular areas to a specific destination. The sad truth or consequence of this is that; as the population of palm springs continues to grow, so as the number of trucks on the road. This brings with it truck accidents. The whole thing is like a domino effect; where, if one thing changes, it sets off a chain reaction. For this reason,
We offer free, no-obligation consultation services. Furthermore, we do not get paid if we do not win you compensation. In other words, we work on a contingency basis. With many years of experience, we fully understand that every case is different and, as such, offer personalized attention. Contact our Crockett Law Group truck accident lawyer today at (800) 900-9393 to book your free case evaluation appointment. Our Palm Springs personal injury lawyers are here to help!
Table of Contents
Truck Accident Statistics In Palm Springs, California
California is one of the states in America with the highest number of severe or life-threatening truck accidents every year. As a matter of fact, Texas is the only state with more life-threatening truck accidents per year than California. According to reports:
- The state has an average of about 113 severe truck-related accidents every year.
- About 3,000 truck accidents in California results in injuries
- Reports show that nearly 300 drivers die as a result of a truck accident
- A majority of the truck accidents in California occur on the highway (I-715, I-10, and I-5)
What does this data show? Well, it simply means that truck accidents account for 11% of all vehicle accident deaths in California. The main reason why truck accidents cause serious or life-threatening injuries is due to their sheer size and weight.
Remember, according to California law, trucks can legally be driven on the road with a maximum gross total weight of 80,000 pounds. They are truly the giants of the road compared to an ordinary vehicle which comes with an average weight of only 3,482 pounds.
What Should You Do After A Truck Accident?
No one wants to imagine themselves being a victim of truck accidents. However, we do share the road with these vehicle kings every day; and there is no way or special road to use to avoid them. For this reason, it is wise to know what to do in case you find yourself in a truck-related accident.
Call the Police
The truth is that police do not go to every accident scene. However, with any accident related to a truck; the chances are they will come immediately. Calling the police is important in many ways, such as filing an accident report, establishing fault, and ensuring the safety of all. This is very important to your compensation claim.
If you are in a position to take photos, it is highly important that you do so. Take photos of anything relevant like the road signs, tire marks, the extent of the accident, the extent of the damage, and anything else that is relevant.
Gather Relevant Information
It is important to collect any relevant information like the name and contact information of the other driver, the truck license number, the insurance company, the policy number, and the names of any witness on the scene.
Seek Immediate Medical Attention
Your health and well-being are the most valuable thing in this world. For this reason, it is always wise to be safe than sorry. It does not matter if you are feeling fine, always seek medical attention.
Contact a Palm Springs Truck Accident Lawyer
There are many benefits of contacting a lawyer. First, a lawyer will protect your rights against insurance investigators who will try to make you accept blame. Furthermore, they may try to offer you a quick settlement that is low compared to the true worth of your compensation. A lawyer will prevent you from signing any document without them going through it first.
What Are The Laws Regarding Truck Accidents In California?
The law regarding truck accidents in California is straightforward. However, first, it is wise for a victim to understand the party at fault (the party to sue), which is different depending on specific circumstances of the accident, injury, and if the driver is working under a specific company. To know this difference, you will need the services of a professional lawyer.
The Truck Driver
Generally, a trucker will either be independent or working under a specific company. A victim can hold the truck driver liable for an accident if the driver was directly at fault for the accident.
The Trucking Company
A victim has the right to file a compensation claim from a trucking company if; the truck driver has no assets or if the accident was caused by the company’s fault. For many years, trucking companies have been found liable for accidents simply for cutting corners to increase profit and efficiency, such as emphasizing long hour shifts for truck drivers, lack of proper maintenance, falling items, defective equipment, poor vehicle condition, and many others.
Therefore, before filing a compensation lawsuit, a victim must be in a position to identify the at-fault party. For this reason, the service of an experienced lawyer is highly needed.
How Can A Truck Accident Lawyer Help?
There are many ways a truck accident lawyer can help you with your compensation claim. Some of the methods include: –
• Best legal action: Clearly, when it comes to truck-related accidents, it is imperative to identify the at-fault party (the driver, company, or other entities). This is a task only an experienced lawyer can do.
• Investigation: For you to be awarded compensation, California law states that fault must be proven. As such, the Palm Spring truck accident lawyer will investigate your claims, which will make your case strong.
• Negotiation: The truth is that a majority of compensation claims are settled out of court. This is done through negotiations with a third-party lawyer(s). Only when negotiations fail will the matter be taken to court.
• Filling a claim: Before going to negotiations, a claim must be filed. It is important to know that filing a compensation claim is a process that demands both time and technique for it to be accepted. Because a lawyer knows what is needed to file a compensation claim, they will help avoid complications later.
• Litigation: If negotiations fail, the matter will be taken to court. This is where you truly need a truck accident lawyer to represent you and fight for your rights.
What Types Of Compensation Can You Receive In Palm Springs, California?
Generally, compensation is categorized into three groups. The groups are: –
Economic Damage Compensation
This type of compensation covers all; and everything that can be seen and calculated. In other words, it covers anything that can be proven physically, such as medical bills, property damage, lost income, lost future income, rehabilitation costs, out-of-pocket expenses, and others.
Non-Economic Damage Compensation
This type of compensation covers any damage that cannot be seen or quantified. It covers anything that cannot be seen but the victim experienced. It covers damages such as suffering, pain, trauma, loss of life enjoyment, and others.
Punitive Damage Compensation
This type of compensation is awarded to a victim as a way to punish the offender (third party) for their negligence. This type of compensation cannot be debated and the amount is only determined by the court and not any other party (the victim or offender).
How Much Is My Truck Accident Claim Worth?
The truth is that truck-related accidents tend to attract more monetary compensation (worth) compared to any other type of accident. However, it is important to note that simply because your case involves a truck does not mean that it is worth much. Generally, it will all; depend on the specifics of the case and the injuries a victim has sustained.
To know the worth of your compensation claim, consult us. A Crockett Law Group truck accident lawyer is in a better position to determine the true worth of your claim. Call us today at (800) 900-9393 to know the worth of your claim.
Is There A Deadline For Filing A Claim In California?
Every state has a claim filing deadline. This is what is known as the Statute of Limitations. California is one of the states that have a strict statute of limitations. If therefore, you have sustained injuries due to another person’s negligence, you have two years starting from the date of the accident to file a claim in the state of California. It is highly important to seek the services of a professional truck accident lawyer who will guide you through the whole process.
If the accident involved a minor, then he or she has two years to file a claim which will start immediately after they turn 18 years old. If your claim is against any government (federal, state, or local) agencies or body, under the California statute of limitation you only have 6 months to file a claim.
How Is Fault In A Truck Accident Determined?
Truck accidents are one of the most complicated cases to handle because there are many factors to consider and more than one party to be considered. Determining fault, an investigation must be conducted to identify the at-fault party. As mentioned, the process is not always as straightforward, and there are many parties to consider.
For this reason, it is paramount to speak to an experienced lawyer. The lawyer will help by investigating to determine the at-fault party.
Can A Palm Springs Truck Accident Lawyer Prove The Truck Driver Was negligent?
The short and straight answer is Yes. However, for a lawyer to prove the truck driver was negligent, the lawyer must prove the following: –
- The driver failed to meet their duty of care: A truck driver must take all actions to prevent an accident. If they fail to uphold this, then they are putting everyone’s life at risk for a serious injury or death.
- The driver’s failure to observe their duty of care is directly responsible for the accident: The lawyer must prove that a driver’s action is what caused the accident.
- The injuries came from the accident: Finally, the truck accident lawyer must link a victim’s injuries to the accident the driver caused.
Who Can Be Held Liable In A Truck Accident?
A truck accident can be caused by several factors, which means different parties can be held responsible for the accident.
- The driver: The driver can be held responsible if they were negligent and failed to observe a duty of care.
- The Trucking Company: The trucking company can be held responsible if they are found to be negligent. For example, if they fail to maintain their trucks properly, cut corners, hire inexperienced drivers, have unrealistic expectations that push drivers beyond their limit.
- The Truck Owner: The truck owner can be held responsible if the accident was a result of failure to maintain the truck properly.
- The Manufacturers or Cargo Loaders: A truck’s cargo must be well placed and secured. If the accident is a result of cargo problems, then the manufacturers or cargo loader can be held responsible.
- Vehicle or Part Manufacturers: A vehicles or part manufacturer can be held responsible if the accident is found to be caused by a faulty part or vehicle.
The Common Causes Of Truck Accidents
- Reckless driving
- Improper lane switching or turning
- Driving while under the influence
- Not giving enough stopping or turning space
- Inadequate training and experience
- Poor truck maintenance
- Poor road condition
Contact our Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you are a victim of a truck-related accident, do not hesitate. Call us immediately. At Crockett Law Group, we offer free initial consultation services (no obligation), where we listen to your claim and offer the best legal action to take. Remember, we do not get paid until we win the case. We offer personalized services based on your unique circumstances. Call us today at (800) 900-9393.