According to the NHTSA, approximately 120 people lost their lives in car accidents each day between 2008 and 2016. And as per the Office of Traffic Safety in California, fatalities caused by car accidents have increased considerably over the last couple of years. According to the agency, over 3,500 people lost their lives on California roads in 2016 alone.
And while some people are lucky enough to escape with their lives, those who survive are often left nursing serious injuries with nowhere to turn to for assistance.
At Crockett Law, our Palm Desert personal injury attorneys are committed to helping victims of car accidents, and their loved ones seek justice for wrongful death and injuries suffered by filing personal injury claims on their behalf. If you (or someone you know) have been injured in a car crash, we can help you seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
For professional legal counsel and representation, call (800) 900-9393 now to schedule a free case review with a Palm Desert car accident lawyer. Crockett Law Cares!
Car Accident Statistics in California
According to car accident statistics provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the state of California recorded a whopping 3,259 fatal accidents and 3,654 deaths in 2019 alone. While these totals include fatally injured pedestrians, persons on motorcycles/bikes, and occupants of large trucks, it is worth noting that the largest number of deaths occurred amongst those in SUVs, cars, and pickups – 1,902 lives to be exact.
These figures don’t, of course, take into account the consequences and costs of crashes for people who survive.
How Much Will It Cost to Hire Your Car Accident Attorneys?
At Crockett Law, we offer our services on known as a contingency fee basis; what that means is that you don’t get to pay us a single cent – regardless of your ability or inability to pay for our services – unless we win the case. Give us a call now to speak to a professional attorney and let us help you start the claims process.
What Should I Do After Being Involved in a Car Crash?
After a car accident, we recommend taking the following steps:
- Call the police and report the accident right away. You mustn’t leave the scene until the police arrive and you have filed an accident report.
- If you haven’t suffered any serious injuries, check on those involved and help those you can before emergency responders arrive.
- Get the other driver’s contact information and give them yours too! As a crash victim, avoid discussing the incident or accepting fault as doing so could affect your case negatively.
- Make sure you take photographs and videos of your injuries, damages to your car, and the scene.
- If there were any witnesses, find out if they are willing to share their view of what happened and kindly ask them to give you their contact information.
- Visit a hospital or emergency room as soon as possible. Even though you might feel that there’s nothing wrong, you are still advised to go and get checked just to make sure that you do not have any internal injuries.
Call Crockett Law as soon as you can and speak to a Palm Desert car accident attorney for counsel on what to do.
When Should I Get an Attorney for My Car Accident?
Consider hiring a car accident lawyer if you’ve been involved in either one of the following situations:
- You’ve been involved in a crash and have suffered injuries or significant damages to your vehicle or both.
- It’s possible, or obvious, that another person’s actions played a role in causing the accident.
- The other party’s insurance carrier just offered you a low-ball settlement for the accident.
- Your injuries are permanent and severe.
- Your accident was a result of negligence on the part of a governmental agency.
- You lost a loved one due to a car accident.
What’s the Importance of Hiring a Car Accident Attorney?
There are several ways our Palm Desert car accident attorneys could help you, especially when it comes to filing a claim. Apart from counseling you, our attorneys will take up various responsibilities related to your case so you spend less time stressing and more time recuperating. As your legal representatives, our attorneys will:
Find and interrogate witnesses to gather information about the incident:
- Investigate the crash to determine the cause and who’s at fault
- Determine your claim’s value and come up with a legal strategy on how to obtain max. compensation
- File a claim for you
- Handle all court processes and ensure that your case is considered.
- Negotiate with insurance carriers to make sure you get well compensated for damages and injuries suffered.
- Represent your interests in court should out-of-court negotiations with insurers fail
- Collect monies owed to you
The car accident lawyers at Crockett Law are professionals with plenty of experience and can help you get the justice that you deserve for your damages and injuries. Give us a call today to have your case reviewed.
What’s the Average Settlement for Car Accidents in California?
If you’ve been involved in an accident and the other driver is at fault and they have an insurance cover, how amount you receive as compensation will, in most cases, be limited to the other party’s policy limit. While the average car accident settlement amount in California is approx. 21,000 USD, there are a few other factors that are considered and which could determine how much you receive as settlement. These factors include:
- The severity of your injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Lost ability to work or lost wages
- Present and future medical care costs
What Type of Damages Can I Recover in California?
There are three types of compensation that car accident victims are eligible for after filing a claim in California. These are:
- Economic Damages: This involves compensation for calculable things such as medical expenses, property damage, lost income, and damages whose monetary value can be easily determined.
- Non-Economic Damages: This covers things that cannot be seen but the victim experienced. Examples include paralysis, pain, and suffering, loss of enjoyment, etc.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are generally awarded by the court and are designed to chastise defendants for their carelessness or negligence.
How’s Fault Determined in California?
Since the Golden State is a “fault state”, the party or person responsible for causing the crash is fully accountable for the injuries and damages they caused. In fault states like California, personal injury claimants have to prove that the defendant’s negligence is what caused the accident that led to injuries before they can be allowed to seek compensation.
Fault in California is determined in several ways, depending on the specifics of a case. Some of the things considered when determining fault include:
- Location of the impact
- Witness accounts
- Location of vehicles
- Traffic laws
- Rear-end collisions
How Long Do Car Accident Victims Have to File a Claim in California?
In California, personal injury claimants have two years from the day the incident happened to file a claim. If you fail to file your claim before the two years are over, you automatically lose your rights to pursue a claim through the court.
How Can an Attorney Help with Filing an Insurance Claim?
If after an accident you’d like to file a claim for injuries and damages suffered, the best thing you could do is get in touch with a car accident attorney. As a victim, there are things about the claim process, like filing an insurance claim, that are beyond you, and which an attorney could help you with.
The attorneys at Crockett Law have the knowledge and experience needed to file an insurance claim. To ensure your claim sails through, our attorneys will:
- Prepare and send a notification letter to the insurer notifying them of your intent to file a claim.
- Investigate (gather evidence and information relating to) the accident by reviewing your treatment history, medical records, existing photos of the accident, and speaking to witnesses to determine the full extent of damages sustained and who’s at fault.
- Draft and send a demand letter detailing the facts of your accident plus a list of your damages and expenses.
- Negotiate with the insurance company to ensure that you receive maximum compensation for your injuries and damages.
- After negotiations, the attorney(s) assigned to your case will consult you before accepting any offers on your behalf.
What Do I Do If the Insurance Company Denies My Claim?
If the insurer refuses to offer a reasonable settlement amount, then your car accident lawyer might advise you to consider filing a personal injury suit. While most injury claims are settled out of court, having the matter presided over by a court is sometimes the best way to getting the compensation that you deserve. Should your case escalate and head to court, your attorney should guide you through the process. The attorney will:
- File court paper such as the demand letter that states facts about your case against the defendant and the damages that you’re seeking.
- Act as your representative during mediation – this is often advised by the court as it tries to see if the matter can be settled before trial.
- In the event mediation doesn’t work, your attorney will represent your interests by arguing out your case before a jury or judge.
- Receive the verdict delivered by the judge or jury on your behalf. Should the judgment be not in your favor, you still have the option to request your attorney to appeal the ruling.
Do I Have a Case?
If you are sure that the other driver is responsible for causing the accident and have documented injuries/damages, then chances are you have a solid case to pursue. To eliminate any uncertainties, you should speak to a car accident lawyer for legal counsel. Get in touch with Crockett Law today for a free case review. Call (800) 900-9393 now to schedule a no-obligation consultation with our legal team.
What If the Other Party Does Not Have Insurance?
If the other party does not have insurance, it will be up to you to cater to the damage/injuries they caused. However, you still have the option of calling your insurer and filing a claim, and they will pay for any damages and medical bills accrued so long as you have an uninsured motorist cover. Your insurer will then fight the other party to recover the money they spent on you.
What’s the Process of Obtaining an Accident Report in California?
As a car accident victim, you can obtain a copy of your accident report by visiting the California Highway Patrol (CHP) website and requesting a copy of the report via mail or their office and paying a fee for a copy. You can ask your insurer to get you a copy of the report and hand it to you in some instances.
Want an incident report? Print and fill out the Application for Release of Information (CHP 190) form and submit it via mail or in person.
Common Injuries Suffered During a Car Accident
There is no such thing as a ‘simple’ or ‘straightforward’ accident to accident victims. Almost all car accidents cause some type or form of injury, with some being more severe than others and which leave those affected with disabilities, life-changing injuries, and a decreased quality of life. Common injuries suffered by car accident victims include:
- Back Injuries
- Brain Injuries
- Internal Injuries
- Neck Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Facial Disfigurement
- Head Injuries
- Leg and Knee Injuries
Types of Auto Accidents We Handle at Crockett Law
We handle a variety of auto accident cases which include:
- Reckless Driving
- Distracted Driving
- Speeding Accidents
- Rear-End Accidents
- Uninsured Motorist
- Driving Under the Influence Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Head-on Collisions
- Rideshare Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
Get in Touch with Crockett Law for Professional Legal Counsel and Representation
At Crockett Law Group, we represent the interests of car accident victims seeking compensation for damage and injuries suffered and those that have been treated unfairly by insurance companies. Our car accident attorneys are committed to fighting for your rights and will go to great lengths to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Injured in a car crash? Get in touch with Crockett Law Group today and schedule a meeting with one of our car accident attorneys. Call (800) 900-9393 now for professional legal counsel and representation.