Slipping and falling on a wet and slippery surface or tripping over store fixtures of bunched up carpet can result in painful and debilitating injuries. Often, such injuries could and should have been prevented by the property owner or manager. In such instances, the injured person is eligible to seek compensation for damages and losses by filing a legal claim.
If you were injured in a slip and fall injury caused by another party’s negligence, contact the experienced Moreno Valley slip and fall lawyers at Crockett Law Group to find out whether you are eligible for compensation. Our Moreno Valley personal injury lawyers have spent years delivering professional, aggressive representation for victims such as yourself and helped them recover compensation for their injuries.
Call us today at (800) 900-9393 to schedule your free, no obligation consultation and case evaluation!
What Are the Most Common Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents can happen in a retail establishment, gym, hotel, sporting venue, apartment building, private home, public building, park, swimming pool, mall, restaurant – just about anywhere. Slip and fall accidents happen for a variety of reasons. Here are some of the most common slip and fall accidents in Moreno Valley, CA:
Slip and Fall Accidents Caused by Spills
- Protein Spills (Vomit or Other Bodily Fluids)
- Cleaning Solutions, Drinks, or Other Liquid Products Left on the Floor
Slip and Fall Accidents Caused by Fallen Objects and Other Hazards
- Debris or Other Hazards in a Store Aisle, Walkway, or Hallway
- Fallen Objects from Store Shelves
- Unmarked Drop-Downs
- String, Rope, Cords, or Wires That Create a Tripping Hazard
- Cluttered or Overcrowded Walkways
Slip and Fall Accidents Caused by Flooring Issues
- Raised, Loose, or Worn Carpeting
- Raised or Loose Panels, Tiles, or Floorboards
- Slippery Escalator/Elevator Surfaces
- Wet Floors
- Unmarked Changes in the Walking Surface
Slip and Fall Accidents Caused by Stairs and Rails
- Items Left on Stairs
- Defective Balconies
- Defective Staircases
- Broken or Loose Railing
Slip and Fall Accidents Caused by Outdoor Issues
- Roots Growing Up from Underneath Sidewalks
- Broken Concrete, Loose Pavers or Bricks, or Potholes
- Poor Lighting
- Hazards Created by Maintenance or Construction Projects
If you or a loved one was injured due to a slip and fall accident in Moreno Valley, CA, you have the right to obtain financial compensation for the damages that you have suffered. Call Crockett Law Group today at (800) 900-9393 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation. We look forward to discussing your case.
How Can a Moreno Valley Slip and Fall Attorney Help with My Case?
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property due to negligent maintenance or any other reason, you may potentially hold them accountable and recover compensation. If you reach out to the slip and fall lawyers at Crockett Law Group, we can help you in the following ways:
Investigating the Accident
Our legal team will collect evidence, such as incident reports, accident scene photos, or even surveillance video. With the evidence that we gather, we can prove how your slip and fall accident and the resulting injuries occurred.
Identifying the At-Fault Parties and Sources of Compensation
Our lawyers are best placed to determine which party or parties are at-fault for the dangerous or hazardous condition that caused the slip and fall accident. We can also determine what kind of financial resources, such as insurance, are available to provide you with monetary compensation.
Working with Experts to Develop a Strong Legal Argument
Our lawyers will also use experts in accident reconstructions who can explain how the slip and fall accident and the resulting injuries happened and why the business or property owner bears legal responsibility for the accident.
Negotiating with the Insurance Companies for a Settlement
Our lawyers can also file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance provider on your behalf and negotiate for a settlement that provides full and fair compensation for the injuries and losses suffered in the slip and fall accident.
Taking the Case to Trial
If settlement negotiations with the insurance companies fail, our lawyers are always ready to file a lawsuit and take your case to trial and provide aggressive representation to maximize the chance of a favorable verdict for you.
Slip and fall accident cases can be incredibly challenging to pursue, but we aren’t afraid to stand up to a powerful company or property owner on your behalf. If you work with us, you won’t have to pay any lawyer’s fees up-front and we only get paid after winning your case. Call Crockett Law Group in Moreno Valley today at (800) 900-9393 for a free, no obligation consultation and case evaluation.
What Steps Can Be Taken to Help a Slip and Fall Case?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in a public place that you believe was caused by a hazardous or dangerous condition on someone else’s property, you should take the following steps to protect your legal rights:
Take All the Photos You Can at the Time
If possible, use your smartphone to take photos or videos of the scene where the slip and fall accident occurred. Document whatever might have caused you to fall. Show whether any safety equipment or warning signs are around the area.
Report the Incident to a Manager
It is important to report the slip and fall accident to the owner or operator of the property as soon as possible after the accident. If the accident happened on private residential property, you should notify the homeowner.
Take Down the Names and Numbers of Witnesses
If there were any witnesses present, you should ensure that you note down their names and numbers. Witnesses can perform a very important role in demonstrating that the property owner or manager was legally responsible for the accident and corroborating your version of events.
If You Need Medical Attention, Get it Immediately
You need to seek medical attention as soon as possible after the slip and fall accident. You should still seek medical attention even if you think you haven’t suffered any injuries since pain or other symptoms of injuries take days or even weeks to manifest. Seeking medical attention is important for linking the slip and fall accident to your injuries.
If You Can, See if the Problem is Addressed Right Away
The main reason for reporting the accident is to see that the property owner or manager can fix or remedy the situation. Furthermore, if you don’t do it, the court may question why you failed to bring the situation to the attention of the property owner or manager before leaving the premises
Speak to a Slip and Fall Lawyer
Speak to the experienced slip and fall lawyers at Crockett Law Group in Moreno Valley, CA as soon as possible after the accident. We can start investigating the accident and contacting the property owner or manager or their insurance company on your behalf to assert your claim.
How Can a Slip and Fall Accident Be Proven?
A slip and fall accident may occur as a result of negligence by the property owner or manager. To prove someone else’s negligence, you (or your lawyers) will be required to show 4 things:
- The Defendant Owned or Was in Control of the Property: It is only certain parties such as landlords, property owners, leaser, occupiers, and business owners who are legally responsible for keeping premises safe.
- The Defendant Was Negligent: Negligent describes any form of reckless or careless behavior that a rational person facing the same or similar circumstances probably would not engage in.
- The Defendant’s Negligence Was a Substantial Factor in Causing the Accident: Your attorney must establish causation between your slip and fall accident and the defendant’s negligence. Simply put, the accident wouldn’t have happened were it not for the defendant’s negligence.
- You suffered Harm by Slipping and Falling on the Property: You are required to provide evidence of any compensable losses that you may have suffered in the slip and fall accident, such as medical bills, physical injuries, and lost wages.
How is Liability Determined in a Moreno Valley Slip and Fall Case?
A property owner or manager or person that’s in control of a property is legally responsible for maintaining safe conditions. However, it is everyone’s responsibility to watch where they are going and exercise reasonable caution.
Liability in Moreno Valley slip and fall cases is determined in the following 3 ways:
- The property owner, manager, or an employee of the property caused the condition that led to the slip and fall accident.
- The property owner, manager, or an employee was aware of the dangerous or hazardous condition but didn’t do anything to fix it or notify users in a reasonable and timely manner.
- The property owner, manager, or employee should have known about the dangerous or hazardous conditions since a reasonable person would have known about it and repaired it.
To establish liability, you may be asked the questions below during the process of filing a slip and fall accident injury claim:
- Did you have good reason to be on the property owner’s premises when the accident occurred?
- Would a reasonable person in the same or similar situation have noticed and avoided the dangerous or hazardous condition?
- Did the property owner or manager give warning of the dangerous or hazardous condition that led to your slip and fall accident?
- Were you engaging in any activities that could have contributed to your slip and fall accident?
Comparative Negligence Doctrine vs. Your Slip and Fall Accident Case
The comparative negligence doctrine deals with a plaintiff’s own percentage of fault for an accident. The rule can reduce your settlement by an amount that’s equivalent to your degree of fault. California is a pure comparative negligence state.
The comparative negligence doctrine used in California allows you to recover compensation at any degree of fault (besides 100%). So, even if you were partially to blame for the slip and fall accident, you could still be eligible for financial compensation.
How Much is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?
It is virtually impossible to determine what your slip and fall case is actually worth before first speaking to a lawyer that can evaluate your case and assess your damages.
If you have substantial injuries and damages, your settlement amount should reflect that. Still, insurance companies may try lowballing your offer. That’s why you need to consult with the experienced slip and fall lawyers at Crockett Law Group.
Our lawyers will assess your damages and contact the insurance company on your behalf. Our lawyers will determine the worth of your compensation by evaluating:
- Medical bills and treatments including any ongoing medical expenses for permanent disability.
- Loss of income or lost wages
- Pain and suffering, such as mental anguish, psychological trauma, or mood disorders you may have suffered due to the accident.
Are There Any Time Limits for Filing a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
Yes. The time limit for filing a slip and fall lawsuit is 2 years from the date of the accident. However, certain circumstances can extend the deadline, such as if the victim is a child below the age of 18. Furthermore, the deadline may be shorter than 2 years if you are filing a lawsuit against a government agency.
Talk to a Moreno Valley Slip and Fall Lawyer Today for Help with Your Case
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident in Moreno Valley, CA due to a hazardous or dangerous condition on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages. Don’t delay in starting the process of seeking the compensation that you are rightfully entitled to.
Call us today at (800) 900-9393 for your free, no-obligation consultation and case evaluation with the experienced slip and fall lawyers at Crockett Law Group. We will discuss your legal rights and options following your slip and fall accident. You can learn how our firm can help you pursue maximum compensation. We look forward to hearing from you.