Spinal cord injuries are debilitating and frightening. They are considered to be some of the most catastrophic injuries you can suffer in an auto or workplace accident. In fact, a severe spinal cord injury can lead to permanent disabilities and lower the quality of your life. You may lose the ability to perform certain bodily functions and experience physical and emotional distress as a result.
When you or someone in your family has suffered spinal cord injuries as a result of someone else’s fault, you are entitled to claim compensation from the responsible party according to California’s personal injury tort. For the best compensation, get the help of a Moreno Valley spinal cord injury lawyer.
An injury to the spine can damage the spinal nerve roots and cause a spinal cord injury. The exact location and severity of the injury can have an impact on the whole life of the victim. When the nerves in your neck are damaged due to a collision or workplace accident, it can result in quadriplegia. Quadriplegia is the complete loss of your body’s ability to control the arms and legs.
On the other hand, when the injury occurs lower on the spinal cord, it can lead to paraplegia or paralysis of the lower part of the body. The average hospital stay for a spinal cord injury victim is 11 days, and you should be prepared to spend between a few hundred thousand dollars to over a million dollars depending on the severity of your injury.
Claiming maximum compensation from the responsible party isn’t easy. You need to prove the negligence of the defendant to claim maximum medical benefits and lost wages. You need an experienced spinal cord injury attorney in Moreno Valley on your side to prove your case and obtain maximum benefits. When you are looking for the best personal injury law firm in Moreno Valley, CA, you don’t have to look further than Crockett Law Group.
Our lawyers have the necessary expertise to prove your case and obtain millions of dollars in compensation. We understand the physical and emotional pain you are experiencing as a result of your injuries. Our expert team can help you recover medical expenses – both past and future – and lost wages from the defendant.
Call a Moreno Valley personal injury lawyer at Crockett Law Group by dialing (800) 900-9393 today to handle your spinal cord injury case and claim maximum benefits.
How Much Are Spinal Cord Injuries Worth?
Severe spinal cord injuries usually result in significant medical expenses. You may not be able to work after the injuries due to partial or permanent disability. Hence, you may have to spend between a few hundred thousand and a million dollars for medical treatments during the first year of your injuries. For example, you should expect to spend between $40,000 and $200,000 per year for medical treatments for the remainder of your life.
Your personal injury lawyer is the best person to evaluate your case and advise how much your claim is worth. You can expect to receive compensation in the form of medical expenses (past and future), lost wages, loss of quality of life, and emotional suffering for your spinal cord injury case.
What Are the Most Common Types of Spinal Cord Injuries (SCI)?
There are three common types of spinal cord injuries it SCIs according to the NSCISC or National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center. In fact, these types of injuries affect over 65% of all spinal cord injury victims.
- Paraplegia – Paraplegia is when the victim cannot move the lower half of his/her body. When there is an impact on the nervous system that controls the lower part of your body, paraplegia is the result. You might not be able to move your stomach muscles, feet, and legs when you are suffering from paraplegia.
- Triplegia – Triplegia is an incomplete spinal cord injury. It is when three limbs become paralyzed as a result of an accident. The victim will lose movement and sensations in one arm and both legs.
- Quadriplegia – This is a condition that paralyzes the neck and below parts of the body. The arms, trunk, and legs of the victim are paralyzed as a result of this condition. The nerves that transmit messages of movement and sensations from the brain to parts of the body are injured in this condition. Trauma to the spinal cord due to accidents and falls is the most common cause of quadriplegia.
Why Should You See a Doctor Right Away After a Back Injury?
If you have been involved in a minor accident and suffered a back injury as a result, you should not ignore the injury. Spinal injuries are not immediately apparent most of the time. It may take some time to start disrupting your life. That is why you should never delay seeking medical help when you have suffered a spinal cord injury as a result of an accident.
If the insurance company gets to know that you have delayed seeking medical help for your condition, they may try to reduce your compensation amount. Make sure to see your doctor right away after being involved in an accident and suffering a back injury.
What Are Some of the Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries?
There can be many causes of spinal cord injuries. Here are some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries in Moreno Valley, CA:
- Auto accidents – Spinal cord injuries are quite severe and can be caused by auto accidents including cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other vehicles.
- Workplace accidents – Falling objects, slip and falls, and forklift accidents are some of the most common workplace accidents that can result in spinal cord injuries.
- Sporting & recreation accidents – Spinal cord injuries can occur as a result of sports and recreational accidents in Moreno Valley.
- Acts of violence – Violent activities can result in spinal cord injuries at times.
What Can I Expect to Recover if I Have a Spinal Cord Injury?
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most expensive to treat. You have to treat such a condition for your entire life depending on the severity of the injury. Hence, California courts are prepared to award significant compensation for these types of lawsuits. You can expect to receive the following types of damages from the responsible party:
- Past and future medical expenses – You are able to claim medical bills, surgical costs, and medical equipment charges such as wheelchairs and vehicle modification for your condition of permanent disability as a result of spinal cord injuries.
- Lost wages – Spinal cord injuries are catastrophic and long-lasting. Even if you recover from your injuries, you may never be able to go back to work since spinal cord injuries result in permanent disability at times. You can claim compensation for lost income under such circumstances.
- Pain and emotional distress – Spinal cord injuries usually lead to severe pain, suffering, and emotional distress. You can expect to be compensated for the pain and emotional distress you had to undergo as a result of your injuries.
How Are Spinal Cord Injury Cases Different from Other Personal Injury Cases?
Spinal cord injuries are more serious than any other type of personal injury. Even though a victim may recover from other personal injuries at some point in time of his/her life, it may not be the same with spinal cord injuries. In fact, the victim may never fully recover from spinal cord injuries.
They may have to seek medical help for the rest of their lives and not be able to work again as a result of their injuries. Spinal cord injuries have long-term health consequences and require long-term treatments.
Is There a Time Limit to File a Spinal Cord Injury Claim in California?
You have two years from the date of the injury or accident to file your claim in Moreno Valley California. If not, California’s statute of limitations will come into effect and make it almost impossible to file your claim in the state of California. Speak to our experienced personal injury lawyers to get the maximum benefits that you rightly deserve.
What if a Spinal Cord Injury Happened at Work?
When you or someone in your family has suffered a spinal cord injury in the workplace, your case will be handled under the workers’ compensation insurance scheme. Every employee in California is protected while on duty by their employer’s workers’ compensation insurance scheme. Workers’ comp insurance lets you claim maximum benefits for spinal cord injuries that you suffered while performing your job.
Call Our Moreno Valley Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers Today for a Free Consultation Regarding Your Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can be devastating and catastrophic at times. They can permanently alter the victim’s quality of life and affect how he or she performs his or her day-to-day activities. When you have suffered a spinal cord injury in Moreno Valley CA, you are entitled to claim maximum benefits from the responsible party.
You need a qualified Moreno Valley spinal cord injury lawyer to handle your claim. Call Crockett Law Group in Moreno Valley, CA at (800) 900-9393 today to handle your spinal cord injury case and claim maximum benefits.