California is home to some of the busiest roads in the U.S. With so many vehicles on California roads, it’s understandable that car accidents occur regularly. If you or someone dear to you has been the victim of a car accident in Cathedral City, California, you have the right to pursue compensation.
At Crockett Law, we have extensive experience in handling car accident cases in Cathedral City and all over California. Our personal injury attorneys have helped many clients recover damages for their injuries.
Call Crockett Law today at (800) 900-9393 to schedule a free, no-obligation case assessment. Let our Cathedral City car accident lawyers advocate for your full financial recovery through our detailed and meticulous representation.
Table of Contents
Cathedral City Car Accident Statistics
In 2017, there was one fatal accident in Cathedral City involving two vehicles and three people (two of which were drunk) that killed one person.
In 2018, 14 people died from 12 fatal car accidents, four of which involved drunk drivers. The total number of vehicles and people involved were 16 and 25, respectively.
Seven people died in 6 fatal accidents involving six vehicles and eight people in 2019. Two of the six fatal accidents involved drunk drivers.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Like most personal injury attorneys, car accident lawyers work under a contingency fee payment plan. Under the contingency fee basis, we are paid a certain percentage of the compensation or settlement award if we manage to win your case. If we fail to win, you owe us nothing!
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
There are certain things you can do after an accident to protect your legal rights and interests. This is what you should do after a car accident:
1. Contact Police: You need to notify law enforcement or any relevant authorities about the accident. Get in touch with the police to record details of the crash and prepare an official accident/police report.
2. Check on Other Involved Parties: Do not leave the scene just yet! Check on the other parties involved and offer help where you can.
3. Exchange Information: Swap information with witnesses and the other driver(s). Get their full names, addresses, insurance company & policy number, license & license plate numbers, and vehicle details (type, model, and color).
4. Record the Scene: Take photos and videos if possible of your injuries, the wreck, weather conditions, road conditions, and traffic conditions. This information may help to support your claim.
5. Never Admit Fault: Avoid talking about the crash with anyone other than your attorney because your words can be used against you. If you admit fault or apologize, you risk hurting your chances of getting compensation.
6. Seek Medical Attention: After an accident, even a minor one, make sure you get examined by a physician because some injuries may not be so apparent. Besides, a visit to the doctor will avail important medical records that may be used as evidence.
7. Call a Car Accident Lawyer: Finally, contact a Cathedral City car accident lawyer to help you with the paperwork, case preparation, settlement negotiations, trial preparation, and representation while you recover peacefully.
What Is The Average Settlement For A Car Accident Claim In California?
Every car accident happens under different circumstances. The types and extent of injuries suffered in car accidents are different too. For this reason, it is difficult to estimate the average settlement awarded to car accident victims. Speak to a reliable Cathedral City car accident lawyer to determine how much to expect for your claim after a car crash.
When Should I Get a Lawyer for my Auto Accident?
When you get injured in an auto accident, don’t wait too long to get a car accident attorney. The longer you take, the riskier your situation gets. We recommend that you retain a lawyer right after your accident to protect your rights. Keep in mind that insurance companies begin assessing your claim immediately after your accident.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
At the Crockett Group, we will help you navigate the legal system and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Case Preparation/Filing a Lawsuit
With the help of experts, an attorney will help you determine fault and identify the liable party through a series of investigations. Once we have identified the at-fault party, we will proceed to file a civil claim on your behalf. Our lawyers will ensure your lawsuit is filed on time and notify you of any important exemptions applicable to you.
Once your claim is filed, we can help you calculate your claim’s value and negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement award. We will also ensure that insurance companies do not exploit you by making you settle for less. Having one of our car accident attorneys at the negotiating table is crucial.
Trial Preparation & Representation
Finally, we are ready to take the matter to court if the settlement negotiations hit a stalemate.
How Much Money Can I Expect To Receive For My Damages?
When computing a compensation award, a court will take the following factors into account:
- The severity of the crash
- The nature and extent of the injuries
- The permanency of the injuries
- The length of the treatment, therapy, or rehabilitation
- Medical bills and other costs of treatment
- Lost wages
- Emotional pain and suffering
What Type Of Damages Can I Recover?
Following a car accident in Cathedral City, California, you can recover the following types of damages:
These damages seek to compensate the plaintiff financially. They cater for all expenses incurred as a result of the crash, including:
- Prescription drugs
- Medical treatment
- Medical devices (wheelchair, walking cane, etc.)
- Property/vehicle repair
- Property/vehicle replacement
- Rehabilitation or therapy
- Lost wages
- Lost future earnings
These damages are non-financial and do not have a specific dollar value. They compensate the victims for:
- Pain and suffering
- Amputation or disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life or activities
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
In California, courts may also award punitive damages to car accident victims. While these damages are not compensatory, they aim to punish the at-fault party for negligence and intentional/malicious harm and discourage others from doing the same in the future.
How Is Fault Determined In California?
Several laws apply when determining fault in negligence or personal injury cases. These include:
California’s At-Fault Insurance System: California is an at-fault state. As per this system, the victim’s accident claim will be paid for by the at-fault party’s insurance carrier.
Comparative Negligence: California uses the pure comparative negligence rule. This means victims can still recover damages if they’re partially at fault, but the amount they recover should be proportional to their degree of fault. For example, if the plaintiff is responsible for 20% of the accident, he/she may only recover 80% of the settlement award.
How Long Do I Have to File A Claim?
The timeframe for filing a car accident claim in California is two years from the accident date or the date you discovered an injury. When this deadline passes, you lose your legal right to pursue compensation.
How Can A Cathedral City Car Accident Lawyer Help With My Insurance Claim?
Filing an insurance claim and dealing with sly insurance representatives and adjusters can be daunting, especially when you’re focusing on your recovery. Our car accident attorneys can handle all correspondence with your insurance company and take care of your claim from start to completion. We will:
• Report the accident and file your claim – A Crockett Law car accident lawyer can help you report your claim to the at-fault party’s insurance carrier or your insurance company.
• Investigate and gather information – We can also help build up your case by leading the investigations of your claim and gathering crucial information to be used as evidence. Besides, we can review the terms of your policy and pursue the full compensable amount of your claim.
• Appeal a denied claim – Finally, if your car accident claim is denied, we can help you appeal.
What Can I Do If Insurance Denied My Claim?
When insurance denies your claim, do not panic and don’t give up either! Insurers deny claims all the time for various reasons, but there are options for you. You can file a formal complaint with California’s insurance department, and we can help.
Has your auto insurance carrier denied your claim after a crash in Cathedral City or anywhere in California? Our car accident attorneys have years of experience dealing with cunning insurers and possess the know-how to appeal your claim and recover the full compensation you’re owed.
Do I Have a Case?
Did you suffer an injury in a car accident with an underinsured or uninsured driver? Or maybe you believe you shared fault for the accident? Whichever the situation, you may still have a case. The car accident lawyers at Crockett Law Group can look into the details of your situation and determine if you have a case.
What If The Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?
Suppose you get into a car crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver in California. In that case, the law states that your insurance company should compensate you since all California drivers are required to have uninsured and underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage in their insurance policy.
How Can I Obtain An Accident Report?
Traffic accident reports in Cathedral City can be obtained through 3 ways:
- Phone: 760-770-0300
- Online at the Cathedral City Police Website
- In-Person: Visit Cathedral City Police Department, 68700 Ave Lalo Guerrero, Cathedral City, CA 92234, United States
For more information on how to get a copy of your accident report, please contact our Cathedral City car accident lawyers for assistance.
Common Car Accident Injuries
The Cathedral City car accident lawyers at Crockett Law Group, in the last couple of years, have obtained many successful verdicts in California for car accident victims who suffered different injuries, including:
- Brain Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Broken Bones
Types of Car Accidents We Handle
At Crockett Law Group, we represent injury victims who have suffered injuries and losses in:
- DUI Accidents
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Hit & Run Accidents
- ATV Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Uber Accidents
- Scooter/Moped Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
Contact Our Cathedral City Car Accident Lawyers For Help
Your #1 priority after getting into an accident should be getting the best medical care and focusing on making a full recovery. Let us fight for you while you recuperate. We have the experience, skills, and knowledge to represent you and recover maximum compensation for you. You can rely on our services because we have been in the game for a long time.